Re: MTA: usage of smart host

Quoting David Fokkema <fokkema@nat.vu.nl>:
> Hi group,
>
> I have a computer basically running 24/7 on an ADSL connection. Should I
> use the mail server of my provider as a smart host like windows clients
> have to do? If so, why can't I send mail directly to the internet? What
> are the pros and cons?

If your ISP has reliable mail servers, don't bother.  Try to check if
they block incoming port 25, if so, no point.  Same for outgoing
connections to port 25 (this is easier, try "telnet mailin-01.mx.aol.com
25").  Check if your Acceptable Use Policy or Terms Of Sevice prohibits
servers.

Advantages for outgoing mail are slight, one less hop.  For incoming
mail, you can stop spam at the perimeter instead of discarding or
bouncing it.  This may give some satisfaction.  If you are charged for
bandwidth, this can be a slight help.

Bottom line (IMHO), if the existing setup is satisfactory, leave it
alone.  If your ISP can't run a server to save their life, do it.
Here is a short article I wrote on setting up your own e-mail system:

http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=7460/uni1032893910897/ur0209o.htm

HTH,
  Jeffrey