Re: Errors rsync-ing debian mirror

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 22:05:02 -0400
Kevin McKinley <ronin2@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> I'm building a local partial mirror of Debian, using the script here:
>
> http://www.debian.org/mirror/anonftpsync
>
> I've re-done the EXCLUDE list to conform to the current archive structure
> and limit my mirror's size.
>
> When I run the script I get some puzzling error messages:
>
> delete_file: rmdir(dists/stable) : Directory not empty
> rsync: symlink "dists/stable" -> "woody": File exists
> delete_file: rmdir(dists/testing) : Directory not empty
> rsync: symlink "dists/testing" -> "sarge": File exists
> delete_file: rmdir(dists/unstable) : Directory not empty
> rsync: symlink "dists/unstable" -> "sid": File exists
>
> Of note:
>
> 1. I'm mirroring mirrors.xmission.com/debian.
> 2. The directories dists/stable, dists/testing, and dists/unstable exist
> in the remote archive.
> 3. None of those three directories is in the EXCLUDE list.
>
> Why is rsync trying to delete my hard-won copies of these directories?

I looked again at the script and noticed it was using the --hard-links
option. That looked suspicious, so I turned it off and got rid of the above
messages.

But I notice another problem:

Every time I sync with the mirror it creates in dists/ the symbolic links
Debian2.2r7, old-proposed-updates and oldstable. Here are the relevant
EXCLUDES:

 --exclude dists/Debian2.2r7/ --exclude dists/old-proposed-updates/ \
 --exclude dists/oldstable/ --exclude dists/potato-proposed-updates/  \
 --exclude dists/potato/ \

Why, oh why does it create these links when I've asked it nicely not to, and
when there's nothing for them to point at?

Kevin