Errors rsync-ing debian mirror

I'm building a local partial mirror of Debian, using the script here:

http://www.debian.org/mirror/anonftpsync

I've re-done the EXCLUDE list to conform to the current archive structure
and limit my mirror's size.

When I run the script I get some puzzling error messages:

delete_file: rmdir(dists/stable) : Directory not empty
rsync: symlink "dists/stable" -> "woody": File exists
delete_file: rmdir(dists/testing) : Directory not empty
rsync: symlink "dists/testing" -> "sarge": File exists
delete_file: rmdir(dists/unstable) : Directory not empty
rsync: symlink "dists/unstable" -> "sid": File exists

Of note:

1. I'm mirroring mirrors.xmission.com/debian.
2. The directories dists/stable, dists/testing, and dists/unstable exist in
the remote archive.
3. None of those three directories is in the EXCLUDE list.

Why is rsync trying to delete my hard-won copies of these directories?

Kevin