KDE 3.1.1

I have been using Linux for about 3 years now, and after trying a number of
distributions settled on Mandrake which I am running on a number of machines,
and I am very happy with.  However, I am now sampling the pleasures of
Debian, having just installed Woody from CD's on one box.  A bit more work
than Mandrake, but balanced to some extent by the philosophy of a minimal
install with packages added only as needed.  I haven't fallen in love with it
yet but I can see how people do.

However, I have decided that I want KDE 3.1.1.  On Mandrake I compiled this
(with the aid of Konstruct) in the absence of suitable rpm packages.  I am
prepared to do the same on Debian, but thought I would try to upgrade with
apt.  I tried the binaries on KDE and added the source to
/etc/apt/sources-list.  I then tried to do an upgrade and later a
dist-upgrade but found a large number of packages were held in both cases.
In fact, apt wanted to remove a far larger number of packages than it wished
to install.  I suspect this is a product of my own ignorance of Debian
Package Management, an ignorance which I will probably not get the time to
eliinate until the weekend.  I will probably either try using apt to upgrade
Woody to the version of KDE in unstable, or perhaps upgrade to testing (an 80
mb download via dial-up 56k modem) followed by installing the unstable KDE
packages.  I suspect the second alternative may well work fine, but the
first?

If anyone can point me in the right direction to solve the problem it would be
much appreciated.

regards,

Darryl Barlow