Re: Why I can't boot into Windows XP with Grub

On 08 Apr 2003 11:33:04 +0100
Shri Shrikumar <shri@urbyte.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 06:05, jqdkf@zju.edu.cn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Windows XP is on /dev/hda1, Linux is on /dev/hda7. I first installed
> > grub on /dev/hda, but it can't load XP, so I try to use lilo. But
> > the problem is that grub isn't removed by lilo after I installed
> > lilo. Now I only can get into Linux. What should I do?
>
> From what I remember, lilo is a hassle to set up to boot with XP.
> Unless this has changed recently (and even in that case), grub is
> probably better.
>
> I used to use lilo all the time until my dad got a laptop and wanted
> to dual boot XP & Linux. grub was painless to install and is much
> easier to work with than LILO.

I recently installed Linux and XP on a laptop and haven't had any
trouble with it. I'm not working on it now, but the stanza for XP was
really simple (IIRC I needed only a line saying in "table=/dev/hdaX" in
there). And then you shouldn't forget to type 'sudo lilo' (or similar).

grts Tim