exim4 (was: is there a i586 distro?)

* Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> [20030407 20:17 PDT]:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 08:31:02PM -0500, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> > 	exim4 needs to be
> > 		downloaded/built for debian
>
> Ok.  Just as it does for gentoo, oddly enough :)  It is available in the
> 'experimental' distribution, and has been for many months.  As well as
> the multitude of packages other people have produced and given away.
>
> > 		and its the main
> > 		smtp package
>
> Kinda.  Exim4 is a rather large shift from Exim3.  Even the config files
> are not compatible.  Give how different it is, why would it replace
> exim3, instead of supplement it?  I have a perfectly working mail system
> here, and I have no urge at all to have to go and learn a new config
> file syntax for absolutely no gain.

Apparently, you've never used it =)

Speaking from personal experience, exim4 is a huge gain over exim3.
Also, the changes in the config file are not overwhelming (for people,
that is -- they're not so trivial that a simple conversion script will
suffice, especially given the wildly varying configurations that exim's
flexible configuration file allows).  If you can write an exim3 config
file, you should do fin in exim4, especially if you're not doing
anything extremely exotic.  Also, the exim distribution's sample config
file has good examples and is hevily commented.

This is not to say that it should replace the exim package right out; I
think creating an exim4 packages is probably the way to go.  I just
think saying "learn a new config file syntax for absolutely no gain" is
_way_ too strong a statment.

> That said, it could certainly go in as 'exim4' or something, but why
> should it be the default MTA for Debian?  Exim was chosen originally
> (AFAIK) because it was simple and secure.  Is exim4 any simpler or more
> secure?

IMHO, yes and yes.

good times,
Vineet