Re: Linux gateway + DHCP server setup?

Subba Rao, 2003-Apr-04 20:14 -0500:
> On  0, Jeff <jcoppock1@attbi.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for replying.  This helped a lot! Now I have my DHCP server
> running and the clients are getting their IP addresses.
>
> One other question is, how do you configure the DHCP Server running on
> eth1, to serve clients with multiple interfaces?  For example, all my
> clients have 2 interfaces (eth0 and eth1).  I can configure eth0 to get
> the address from the DHCP server.  How do you tell the DHCP server to
> give a different subnet address to the dhclient request for eth1?

I'm not sure I understand you network configuration.  It sounds like
you are multinetting your LAN...your client machines have 2 interfaces
on the same LAN and you have 2 different IP networks on that same
LAN.  If this is the case, what you could do is add specific host
entries in /etc/dhcp.conf for each client interface based on the MAC
address:

host jcdeb1 {
  hardware ethernet 00:10:a4:99:99:7b;
  fixed-address 192.168.0.10;
}

So, when the server see's a request coming from that MAC, it will
respond with the specified IP along with the default gateway and DNS
information.  You will need to multinet your server's interface and
specify that as the default gateway as an "option routers" in the
above config for this to work.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer