font problem - emacs20

Dear Debian users,

I'm having trouble with an emacs font problem and I was hoping that someone could help me with this problem. I'm currently running woody with kernel bf24. The problem is that the cursor in emacs becomes "double spaced" after running some selective applications. So far, the most consistent application that causes this problem is any Java GUI applications. Here's the what the problem looks like:
http://rplaca.cs.qc.edu/~bpark/weird.jpg
If anyone has any ideas on how I can solve this problem, I would very much appreciate the help.