Re: fontconfig, xftconfig, xf86config... I'm lost :-(

On Saturday 05 Apr 2003 8:00 pm, Dominique Deleris wrote:
> On 03 Apr 2003 23:48:34 +0200, Dominique Deleris
> <dominique.deleris@bluewin.ch> said:
>
>  Dominique> Hello there,
>  Dominique> I've dist-upgraded my Sarge box today, and I see that
> fontconfig Dominique> has been installed. I've heard of it before, but I'd
> like to know Dominique> how it will interact withe my previously existing
> fonts Dominique> installation.

I am not completely sure, but the following is what I have deduced from
looking at this myself, If you remember x has the ability to split out the
server (ie the screen) and the client (ie the application.  Most older
applications use the xfont server to render fonts on the server side.

More recently, it has been possible to render the fonts on the client side -
which gives some advantages in terms of the application being able to get
better details of what is being renderered.  In order to do that they use the
xft libraries and libfreetype. For example gtk2 and qt now use this approach.

Previously xft relied on a config file, but more recently fontconfig (and its
associated libraries) are now used by xft to decide what font to use in any
given situation.  Fontconfig uses as configuration file /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
(and the additional file /etc/fonts/local.conf which is for local
administrations to use) to specify

- - which directories to look for fonts
- - how to map requests to particular fonts or font families into the actual
fonts stored on your machine.

>  Dominique> Here it goes:
>
>  Dominique> In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
>  Dominique> =========================
>  Dominique> FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
>  Dominique> FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
>  Dominique> FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
>  Dominique> FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
>  Dominique> FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
>  Dominique> FontPath     "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
>
>  Dominique> In /etc/X11/XftConfig:
>  Dominique> ======================
>  Dominique> dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
>  Dominique> dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"

There should be lines in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf of the form
<dir>/usr/lib/X11/fonts</dir> which tells fontconfig where to look (it
includes subdirectories as well so if you which to miss out a subdirectory
you have to list all the subdirectories that you want.  This could be because
in this new mode you are not interested in using the old bitmapped fonts.

>  Dominique> Is it true that fontconfig will only be used by GTK2 apps?

No it has wider scope - but not universal.  Anything that used xft should use
it.

>  Dominique> Should I put all my TrueType fonts in
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype?

Up to you - see above about <dir> ... </dir>.  You have to run (as root)
fc-cache -f to pick up these new dirs once you have made the change.

- --
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk