Re: Which device is ide-scsi?

    "Alan" == Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> writes:

    Alan> I have added append hdd=ide-scsi in my lilo config and this
    Alan> module is definately loaded.  If I look in /proc/scsi there
    Alan> is a subdirectory called ide-scsi and a single file in it
    Alan> named "1" with the following text "SCSI host adapter
    Alan> emulation for IDE ATAPI devices".

    Alan> On my system I have a real scsi bus with a cd writer on it,
    Alan> plus a usb smart media reader.  When I look in the file
    Alan> /proc/scsi/scsi it lists these two but NOT the ide-scsi
    Alan> device - thus

Alan,

I'm not a SCSI expert (have not owned a real SCSI bus in the last 5
years) but here is a suggestion: perhaps you are loading things in the
wrong order?

If you look in dmesg do you see any text indicating that the ide-scsi
driver has actually picked up /dev/hdd? It is not uncommon for the
ide-cd driver to grab the CD ROM driver, which you must prevent by
giving ide-cd the 'ignore=hdd' option. If the ide-cd driver grabs it,
ide-scsi starts up fine but had no devices to run. You don't see any
errors. I suspect this is what is happening to you, but I can't be
sure since I don't have a real SCSI bus to confirm the behavior.

Finally, I perhaps the order of loading SCSI modules makes a
difference? I suspect not, since the documentation does indicate that
scsi_mod must be loaded before anything else and unloaded after
everything else. For my part, I force ide-scsi to load before both sg
and sr_mod, and ide-cd to load before ide-scsi. This I do via the
/etc/modutils/ structure, a search of the Debian lists should show you
many examples for the pre-built kernels.

Cheers!
Shyamal