Re: create an image of a partition

* Rob Benton <rob.benton@conwaycorp.net> [20030404 12:51 PST]:
> On Fri, 2003-04-04 at 14:21, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > * ronin2@bellatlantic.net <ronin2@bellatlantic.net> [20030403 15:47 PST]:
> > > How about tar-ing up the whole partition. I don't know how much space
> > > that will save but it will surely come in under 3 GB.
> >
> > This is a Good Idea.  Instead of taking a snapshot of the entire
> > partition (which includes all of the unused space), just mount the vfat
> > filesystem on it and tar it up.  It will only be as large as the used
> > space on the disk, which, for a fresh install, probably isn't all that
> > large.  Maybe even small enough to just put on a CD-R?

> Could you do that with a linux install, too if it was one partition or
> is dd a better idea?
>
> tar -cjf linuxBackup.tar.bz2 /

Sure.  Just not exactly like that.  Remember, the recommendation for the
dinwos partition was to mount it from linux and tar it up.  Similarly,
the recommendation for tarring up an entire linux system (/) partition
is to mount it from linux and tar it up.  By this I mean don't try it on
the system you're currently running.  If you boot from a separate
partition on the same disk, or boot from a CD (e.g. knoppix) then no
problem.  Mount it somewhere and tar it up.

Sure.  Just not exactly like that.  Remember, the recommendation
for the dinwos partition was to mount it from linux and tar it up.
Similarly, the recommendation for tarring up an entire linux system (/)
partition is to mount it from linux and tar it up.  By this I mean don't
try it on the system you're currently running.  If you boot from a
separate partition on the same disk, or boot from a CD (e.g. knoppix)
then no problem.  Mount it somewhere and tar it up.

So it will be more like :

cd /mnt ; tar cjf linuxBackup.tbz2 .

good times,
Vineet