Re: create an image of a partition

* ronin2@bellatlantic.net <ronin2@bellatlantic.net> [20030403 15:47 PST]:
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 22:25:47 +0200
> Roman Joost <romanjoost@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Does somebody know a better way to create an image of a existing
> > partition?
> >
> > I know dd=/dev/hda1 of=windows_partition.img, but the image has a size
> > of 3 GB. I thought about backup a fresh win98 installation, so i can
> How about tar-ing up the whole partition. I don't know how much space
> that will save but it will surely come in under 3 GB.

This is a Good Idea.  Instead of taking a snapshot of the entire
partition (which includes all of the unused space), just mount the vfat
filesystem on it and tar it up.  It will only be as large as the used
space on the disk, which, for a fresh install, probably isn't all that
large.  Maybe even small enough to just put on a CD-R?

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/