Re: resizing root partition

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 02:04:09PM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> -- Frank Gevaerts <frank@gevaerts.be> wrote
> > find usr|cpio -pmd /mnt/newusr

should be

cd /usr
find . | cpio -pmd /mnt/newusr

or you will get /mnt/newusr/usr/

> What does this do? I've used find before, but I'm not familiar with the
> '-pmd' options; man doesn't elaborate on them, either.

-pmd are options for cpio. Basically, it copies all files listed on
standard input to the directory /mnt/newusr (p=passthrough, m=modify
timestamp, d=create directories as needed). The net result is the same
as cp -ar, but that one is not available on all unix systems
The real way of doing this is of course:

cd /usr
find . -print |cpio -o |(cd /mnt/newusr;cpio -ivmd)

This should work on any unix system you find.

Frank