Re: Sparc Ultra1 Debian 3.0, kernel 2.4.18 builtin lan card problem...

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 06:20:33AM -0500, Michael Bevilacqua wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:23:38AM -0500, Greg Morgan wrote:
> > Any ideas/thoughts on what's going on?  Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Does the Openboot screen initally display the hardware address? (mac
> hex address)
>
> Is it an onboard Sun Happy Meal chipset? If not, which chipset?
>
> Do you get link lights?

I didn't see the original post here, but Ultra 1s have a builtin HME
ethernet, and there are known problems with the linux hme driver on
Ultra 1s (it doesn't seem to affect other ultras; my ultra 30 and 60
have not had issues).

Check the debian-sparc archives; a few different fixes have been
posted.

  What's needed is a certification system that separates those who
  can barely regurgitate what they crammed over the last few weeks
  from those who command secret ninja networking powers.