Re: Booting to console is a non-event 0r give me back CLI

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 07:09:46AM +0100, andy denton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After adding some applications that use elements of
> gnome, the boot now
> starts xdm directly. Prior to changes the boot started
> a console, when
> needed the xdm gui could be started using Alt + F7.
> I wish to reinstate that process.

Have a look at the "default run level" thread on this list, where
someone wrote in assuming that changing the default run level was the
way to achieve this, and was told that this is not so and given
several other methods.

As nate remarked, your description of the original situation sounds a
bit nonstandard. The usual situation is more accurately described if
you add after "using Alt + F7", "having first run startx from a
console". Are you describing the standard situation loosely, or
describing a non-standard situation accurately?

Pigeon