Re: default run level

(Please set your mailer to wrap lines at 72 characters!)

"Irish, Jon D BAE SYSTEMS" <Jon.Irish@AMD.ARMY.MIL> writes:

> This is my mistake (as usual ;-). I did not provide enough
> information in my post. I need to temporarily disable booting into a
> graphical environment (i.e. X) so that I can install the new Nvidia
> display drivers for X. After the install, I want to re-enable
> booting into X. Does this make more sense?

If I were doing this, I'd:

(1) Build the drivers;
(2) Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get a text console, and log in as root;
(3) Run '/etc/init.d/xdm stop' to shut down xdm;
(4) Install the drivers;
(5) Test that 'startx' worked, probably as a normal user from another
    VC; and
(6) Run '/etc/init.d/xdm start' to fire up xdm again.

No reboot or runlevel frobbing required...

	-- Abra Mitchell