From: Gary Hennigan [mailto:glhenni@sandia.gov]
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 6:42 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: default run level

"Dave Sherohman" <esper@sherohman.org> writes:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 03:06:34PM -0700, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> > "Irish, Jon D BAE SYSTEMS" <Jon.Irish@AMD.ARMY.MIL> writes:
> > > Here is a newbie question: Which default run level do I change
> > > inittab to so that the PC boots to a VGA console instead of X?
> >
> > On a clean install, level 2.
>
> Bzzt!  Wrong answer...  Your answer applies only to Red Hat (and Red
> Hat-derived distros).  It does not apply to debian.

Right answer, wrong question! :)

Actually, I did read the question incorrectly. But you certainly can
use runlevels to decide whether or not you want to start XDM. I set
mine up that very way. RL 2, does not start XDM, RL 3 does. Easier for
me to boot it the way I need it, especially on my laptop. And yeah,
the way you customize your run levels globally is with
update-rc.d. But, and I may be wrong, *again*, if you want to
customize a specific run level, for example, remove xdm from RL 2, you
just go into /etc/rc2.d and remove the appropriate link
manually. Debian is also smart enough, I believe, so that it won't
overwrite the changes you make if you do things manually like this.

And isn't there still an issue if you globally do

        update-rc.d -f xdm remove

for example, the next time xdm gets updated via apt/dselect/etc. it
will reinstall the xdm links if you have your configuration priority
high enough? Or did that get changed?

Gary