Re: apt-get dist-upgrade upgraded kernel source package!

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 08:14:25 -0500
stan <stanb@awod.com> wrote:

> The last night, when I ran apt-get dist-upgrade, it updated my kernel
> source package (2.4.20, of it matters). I'm _very_ puzzled, I thought that
> the version number got bumped when a kernel was changed.

When you say "version number" you mean the kernel version as in "2.4.20",
right?

When you dist-upgrade you don't automatically get new kernel versions.

A few days ago a local root exploit was discovered for all kernels. The
maintainer put a new *revision* of the kernel source package in the
archives.

When you dist-upgrade, newer *revisions* of packages are installed to
replace older ones. So you got the latest revision of the kernel source.

That was A Good Thing.

Kevin