Re: Shell based text editor for writing prose

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:51:33AM +1000, John Griffiths wrote:
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > vim, emacs, pico, nano, ... these are all text editors. How you format
> > your text is up to you. (This was written in vim.)
> >

> Yep, OK.
>
> what I'm after is a recommendation from others who might have used
> something like this to write 5,000 word plus english language documents.

I have used vim to write/edit large reports (in LaTeX).  It works well
via a remote terminal.  CVS is good for managing versions as well!

Quote from _UNIX : Network Programming_ 1998. 2nd ed. Vol 1. p. xx
"""
   As usual, but contrary to popular fads, I produced camera-ready copy
   of the book using the wonderful Groff package written by James Clark.
   I typed in all 291,972 words using the /vi/ editor, created the 201
   illustrations using the /gpic/ program (using many of Gary Wright's
   macros), produced the 81 tables using the /gtbl/ program, performed
   all the indexing, and did the final page layout. ...
"""

IMHO, it is better to write in plain text, focusing on *content* first,
and worry about *presentation* much, much later.  I've seen people waste
enormous amounts of time formatting draft word processor documents over
and over and over again in WYSIWYG word processors when they should be
focusing on what the hell they're writing.

--
echo ">gra.fcw@2ztr< eryyvZ .T pveR" | rot13 | reverse