Re: Shell based text editor for writing prose

Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> writes:

> I've never looked at Emacs (actually I have, but the guide I was looking
> at was rather poor).  Is it easy to re-program control keys?

Yes (albeit in Lisp); my .emacs file has, for example

  (global-set-key "\C-xf" 'fixup-whitespace)

to change what happens when I press Control-x, f.

> How about margins?  Is there anything in Emacs like the ability to
> set (and easily change) paragraph margins?

What?  Margins?  Huh?  Text files don't have those.  :-)  If you're
using Emacs to edit LaTeX files, the easiest way to change page
margins is with the 'geometry' package, but there's lots of
tweakability.  I assume equivalent things exist for other text
formatting systems, but I don't really know.

	-- Abra Mitchell