Re: Shell based text editor for writing prose

Thanks very much.

Tom Massey wrote:
> * John Griffiths <johnboy@the-riotact.com> [2003-04-03 13:09]:
>
>>what I'm after is a recommendation from others who might have used
>>something like this to write 5,000 word plus english language documents.
>

> I've written a couple of 50,000 word novels, a 10,000 word Honours
> thesis, and numerous short stories using Emacs. I find Emacs more
> comfortable to use than vi/vim for longer works. The switching between
> command and edit modes in vi tends to break my concentration. In
> Emacs, I find it easier to stay focused on the writing rather than
> the commands needed to control the editer. But it's really a personal
> thing, which one you prefer.

- --

"I live in the Managerial Age, in a world of "Admin." The
greatest evil is not now done in those sordid "dens of
crime" that Dickens loved to paint. It is not done even in
concentration camps and labour camps. In those we see its
final result. But it is conceived and ordered (moved,
seconded, carried, and minuted) in clean, carpeted, warmed
and well-lighted offices, by quiet men with white collars
and cut fingernails and smooth-shaven cheeks who do not need
to raise their voices. Hence, naturally enough, my symbol
for Hell is something like the bureaucracy of a police state
or the office of a thoroughly nasty business concern."

- - C. S. Lewis

John "Johnboy" Griffiths - RiotACT Editor

http://the-riotact.com
Ph: 0412 690 643
ICQ UIN: 7933859
email: johnboy@the-riotact.com