Re: how to install Gnome?? xfree 4.??

Hi,
i ended up installing everything starting with gnome,
only ending with -dev can be omitted.

gnome*
gnome2*
gnome-libs
libgnome*
libglade*
imlib
gtk*
glib*
lib6*
gcc*

Out of my 20 days linux experience i have 10 days
gnome installing experience. next time my system
crashes and if i don't have a recovery cd i will try
to find if there is any easy way(automated) to install
gnome(am too lazy to check what dselect does, if it
has any options to find and install dependent packages
itself). i didn't bother to see if there are any
scripts available on either debian or gnome websites
for installation, just for the fun of installing it
manually.

using this directory list
ftp://ftp.gnome.org/mirror/gnome.org/sources/
i installed almost everything in it and their
dependencies. version 1.4.2 works just fine for me.

If you get
gnome-session,gnome-panel,gnome-desktop,gnome-core,gnome-commander,gnome-bin
without any dependency errors it works.

thanks
Srinivas