Re: Kernel Rebuild

"Kris" <krisp1@mlode.com> writes:

> I seem to be having a problem rebuilding my kernel with PCMCIA.  The only
> source I could find for PCMCIA were PCMCIA-cs_3.1.33-6_i386.deb

...which is the userspace code; you need this, but on it's own it's
not enough...

> and kernel-PCMCIA-modules-2.4.18-586tsc_2.4.18-5_all.deb

...which is prebuilt kernel modules corresponding to this exact kernel.

> both of these are dep files.  I am following these steps listed at
> http://qref.sourceforge.net/quick/ch-kernel.en.html for rebuilding a
> kernel now I assume these are for using the source to build up
> PCMCIA support but the only debian files I can find are deb what
> steps do I need to change to make sure that PCMCIA is also
> incorporated into my new kernel

You either need to (a) enable PCMCIA support in the kernel
configuration, or (b) disable PCMCIA support in the kernel
configuration, install the pcmcia-source package, unpack
/usr/src/pcmcia-cs.tar.gz, and run 'make-kpkg modules-image'.

> and what is the difference between a source and a deb file.

Not entirely clear what you're asking...'source' is the thing the
programmer edits, 'binary' is "pile of bits", and generally means
"thing computer is able to run directly".  In Debian, there are binary
packages (.deb files) and corresponding sources (.dsc files with
either corresponding .orig.tar.gz/.diff.gz or .tar.gz files).
'apt-get install' or 'dpkg --install' will install a binary package;
'apt-get source' or 'dpkg-source -x' will retrieve and unpack sources
for a package.

For kernel modules, there's a special case where a binary package
contains sources for kernel modules.  These typically install tar
files in /usr/src, which you need to unpack and build using make-kpkg.

	-- Abra Mitchell