Kernel Rebuild

I seem to be having a problem rebuilding my kernel with PCMCIA.  The only
source I could find for PCMCIA were PCMCIA-cs_3.1.33-6_i386.deb and
kernel-PCMCIA-modules-2.4.18-586tsc_2.4.18-5_all.deb
both of these are dep files.  I am following these steps listed at
http://qref.sourceforge.net/quick/ch-kernel.en.html for rebuilding a kernel
now I assume these are for using the source to build up PCMCIA support but
the only debian files I can find are deb what steps do I need to change to
make sure that PCMCIA is also incorporated into my new kernel and what is
the difference between a source and a deb file.