Re: Play DVDs on K6/4xx (was: Help with DRM / DRI on Matrox G400)

acarlson@aei.net declaimed:
> Hmm...I've got a DH G400 on my AMD K6-II/450, and DVDs play fine for me.
> Actually play better under Linux than under Windows. Although the DVD apps
> under Linux I have tend to be more glitchy.  But the system w/ video card if
> quite adequate.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Arlen Carlson <arlen@carlsontech.net>

Very encouraging. What can I tweak?
CPU: K6-III/450
MB: ASUS P5A
RAM: 512 MB PC100/133 (2 x 256 MB DIMM)
Kernel: kernel-package-2.4.20-k6
Debian/GNU Linux: Sarge
DVD player: 16x generic

Video card 1: Matrox G400 dual head, 16 MB, AGP, 1 display
Video card 2: ATI Rage XL, 8 MB, PCI, 1 display
(I added the 2nd card so that the G400 would have 16 MB available for
its display.)
The Matrox is now loading DRI, I'm not aware of any issues.

When I play DVDs on Xine (installed from Sarge), the sound is OK but the
video stalls & stops, many freezes, unwatchable.

When I play DVDs with MPlayer (compiled with gcc-3.2 on my box), it
quickly displays an error telling me that my system is too slow, then
about 60 seconds it returns an error saying that there are too many
video frames in the buffer and the sound cuts out. Picture is great
although I suspect that its playing the video too slowly.

Any advice appreciated.

Paul
--
Paul Mackinney