Re: XDM, Gnome 2.2 normal user startup

On 31.3.2003 18:51 Uhr, "Mario Vukelic" <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:

> 1.) I can't follow you: You first say that you do startx, but after you
> crash you are back to the xdm login screen. If you startx, you should be
> back at the console after crashing.
> If you have xdm running at terminal 7 (strg+alt+F7), you probably have
> to call startx like that 'startx -- :1' to stret X at terminal 8
> (because xdm is aleady running at terminal 7
Sorry for the confusion. Since I installed XDM I can login as root and Gnome
starts fine.

If I login at XDM with a normal user it throws me back to the XDM login
screen.

> 2.) If you use Gnome anyway, you are probably better off with gdm
> instead of xdm
Why is that?

>> My log of ~/.xsession-errors (normal user, not root) tells me that the fonts
>> are not installed correctly. I think that the fonts are installed correctly
>> otherwise I could not perfectly do 'startx' as root-user.
>
> If you actually had pasted the error, the list would be in a better
> position to help :)
SESSION_MANAGER=local/dell:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1241
No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

Thanks for your help and time.

Zeno