Re: XDM, Gnome 2.2 normal user startup

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 19:20, Zeno Davatz wrote:

> If I login at XDM with a normal user it throws me back to the XDM login
> screen.

Ok

> > 2.) If you use Gnome anyway, you are probably better off with gdm
> > instead of xdm
> Why is that?

I find it prettier and easier to configure. Since you use gnome anyway,
its dependence on gnome libraries doesn't matter.

> SESSION_MANAGER=local/dell:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1241
> No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
> library is not correctly configured. You may need to
> edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
> about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
> page and on http://fontconfig.org

You can try to reinstall fontconfig 'apt-get --reinstalll install
fontconfig libfontconfig1'. If this doesn' help, you can run fc-cache as
root.

If neither helps: Can you start x other window managers than gnome as
user?