Re: XDM, Gnome 2.2 normal user startup

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 16:36, Zeno Davatz wrote:

> I installed all the necessary packages and Gnome 2.2 runs very smooth when I
> get it  running with 'startx'.
>
> When I do the same as normal User Gnome starts but crashes immediately and I
> land at the XDM Login again.

1.) I can't follow you: You first say that you do startx, but after you
crash you are back to the xdm login screen. If you startx, you should be
back at the console after crashing.
If you have xdm running at terminal 7 (strg+alt+F7), you probably have
to call startx like that 'startx -- :1' to stret X at terminal 8
(because xdm is aleady running at terminal 7

2.) If you use Gnome anyway, you are probably better off with gdm
instead of xdm

> I did do dpkg-reconfigure of xservers-common and set the 'startup-security
> to console users'.

same here

> My log of ~/.xsession-errors (normal user, not root) tells me that the fonts
> are not installed correctly. I think that the fonts are installed correctly
> otherwise I could not perfectly do 'startx' as root-user.

If you actually had pasted the error, the list would be in a better
position to help :)

> My questions now are:

More info needed