Re: Should I upgrade my kernel?

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 01:36:50PM -0500, sean finney wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 01:08:51PM -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> > Both of my machines are for my personal use (1 desktop and 1 laptop).  Your
> > mention of a root exploit makes me worry though, since my desktop is
> > connected to the internet 24/7 by a DSL modem.
>
> don't worry if you haven't given anyone an account on your machine.
> it's a local exploit only, meaning they have to have login access
> before it can be exploited.

That's of course true, but if someone can get a local shell by
exploiting a network daemon, then they can immediately get root.

remote non-user exploit + local root exploit = remote root exploit

So fixing local root exploits is rather important :)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
Encrypt your mail: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC | Do I look like I want a CC?