Mutt e-mail charset. Read is bad, write is ok.

I think I'm missing something here but I can't figure out what that
option is:
My language (Portuguese) has those vocals with signs on top (the
acute, grave, tilde, ...).

My editor is set to "vi" and I can write those letters fine ( á, ò ).
However, I can't read them, either in index or pager mode.

I'm guessing it's some "charset" related option.. But how does it
affects only pager and index, and does not affect editor?

Thank you