Re: Programing Question

Pigeon wrote:

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 09:10:37PM -0600, Harley D. Eades III wrote:
Pigeon wrote:
On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 12:09:44AM -0600, Harley D. Eades III wrote:
Hello,
This might be off topic, but I hope someone can answer a question for me. Is there any documentation on parport.h parport_pc.h. I seem to get err's when I try to use either of them. Do you have to link to a lib? I am not shere I am trying to learn more about devices and such. Any help will be appreciated.
You might try Documentation/parport.txt and
Documentation/parport-lowlevel.txt in the kernel source tree.

Your question is a bit vague. What are you trying to do? What errors
do you get?

Shots in the dark: Have you got "Support for user space parallel port
drivers" (CONFIG_PPDEV) enabled in your kernel config? Have you
installed/played with libieee1284/libieee1284-dev?

Pigeon

Thanks for the reply,
Really all I am doing is learning more about device drivers and such. So to learn I am reinventing the wheel and writing a cheap little printer driver just to get a hold of things. Yes my question was vague, I was up late that night so I was not all there ;). Yes all the correct parport modules are loaded. and about the libieee1284/libieee1284-dev, no I will check it out thanks. And Eric thanks for the mailing lists I will check those out also thanks for the help.

hde

Errors:

#include <linux/parport_pc.h>

int main ()
{
  return 0;
}

$ gcc -c test.c
In file included from test.c:1:
/usr/include/linux/parport_pc.h:40: parse error before `dma_addr_t'

<snip loads more>

parport_pc.h isn't meant to be included on its own. It's supposed to
be pulled in by parport.h. If you delete the '_pc' from the code
fragment above all those errors go away.

Pigeon

I see, thanks and the articel I posted seems to be answering all my questions thanks alot for helping.

hde
perl -e '$word="\n!REKCAH UNG REHTONA TSUJ";print($string = reverse $word);'

OUTPUT:

                  JUST ANOTHER GNU HACKER!