Re: bootmanager madness

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 23:05:54 +0200
Roman Joost <romanjoost@gmx.de> wrote:

> So, still one problem remains, that i can't boot to windows. Maybe
> someone has an idea or i've to reinstall this windows. Okey - it's not
> a problem - i don't work with it.

What does your Windows 98 entry currently say?

Mine is:

title Windows ME
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

That's it. No "makeactive". Works fine, lasts a long time. :)

Right now I dual-boot three machines. One has Win95, one WinME, and one
WinNT. I use exactly the same syntax for all three. I've assisted people
with Win98 and used the same setup for them too.

Perhaps now that you have your grub installation straightened out you
can try this again.

In any event there's no reason to reinstall Windows. At the worst, you
could boot with a Win98 (or just plain old DOS) floppy and do "fdisk
/mbr" to replace the Windows boot loader in the MBR.

Then boot with your Linux boot floppy, and do "grub-install /dev/hda" to
replace it with grub again.

That should get you back to normal.

Kevin