Re: LWN: Ptrace vulnerability in 2.2 and 2.4 kernels

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 12:38:41PM +0000, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 03:54, Rob Weir wrote:
> > No, that is odd.  Another short-term fix is to
> > 'echo SaveMeJeebus > /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe', which disables the
> > module loading that is part of the problem.
>
> Does that mean that a kernel that has module loading disabled is not
> vulnerable to this exploit ?

Hmm, I'm not really sure.  I've read the discussion on lkml, but a lot
of it went over my head.  I think the answer is 'yes, for this
particular one', but the root issue here could also lead to other
vulnerabilities.  I'm still following that discussion, so I'll post if I
ever figure it out myself.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>				   http://ertius.org/
If I want a CC, I'll ask for one! | Do I *look* like I want another damn war?