Re: What's the std print config tool

    "Lindsay" == Lindsay Yardley <lindsay@ebuild.net.au> writes:

    Lindsay> G'day all, What is the standard printer configuration
    Lindsay> tool used by debian 3 r0. I'm trying to install a printer
    Lindsay> but the documentation is not helping me at all. If I
    Lindsay> could find the config tool name that'd be a start,
    Lindsay> perhaps then the Printing HowTo will make more sense.
    Lindsay> tia Lindsay

As Bob points out, cupsys is what a lot of people are using. I
switched to it about a year ago and it works fine for me. I have a HP
Laserjet hooked up.

My woody system has

shyamal@rattler:~$ dpkg -l 'cups*' | grep ^i
ii  cupsys         1.1.14-4.4     Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
ii  cupsys-bsd     1.1.14-4.4     Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD comman
ii  cupsys-client  1.1.14-4.4     Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client pro
ii  cupsys-driver- 4.2.0-4        gimp-print printer driver for CUPS
ii  cupsys-pstoras 1.1.14-4.4     Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - pstoraster
shyamal@rattler:~$ dpkg -l '*hp*' | grep ^i
ii  hp-ppd         0.4-0          HP Postscript Printer Definition (PPD) files

You configure the printes via http://localhost:631/ once it is all
installed. Be sure to read the Debian specific notes in
/usr/share/doc/cupsys/ if you choose to go along this path.

It's been a while, but I don't remember the set up being particularly
difficult. One key step for me which took a while to figure out was to
install cupsys-bsd.

Cheers!
Shyamal