Re: Kernel compile - kernel panaic at boot

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 08:06:28 +0800
Petr Simon <sim@klubko.net> wrote:

> Please help!
> I did it many times , but now I made some silly mistake and I can't boot
> my fresly compiled kernel. I can boot Debian default 2.4.18-k7, but I
> wanted 2.4.20 from source and it doesn't seem to work. What I did is:
> untar it
> ln -s linux-2.4.20 linux
> cd linux
> make mrproper
> make menuconfig
> make dep
> make-kpkg -rev Custom.1 kernel_image
> dpkg --install kernel-image........

First copy the configuration of your working kernel version to the source dir of your new kernel like this:

	cp /boot/config-2.4.18-k7 /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20/.config

then

	make oldconfig

for just setting the new features in 2.4.20. After that you should be able to compile and install the new kernel.

> What is the difference between booting with or without initrd. I have

This is needed if you want to use devices at boot time (e.g. SCSI). The given image file should then contain such modules.

CU