Re: Kernel compile - kernel panaic at boot

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 08:06:28 +0800
Petr Simon <sim@klubko.net> wrote:

> Please help!
> I did it many times , but now I made some silly mistake and I can't
> boot my fresly compiled kernel. I can boot Debian default 2.4.18-k7,
> but I

I'm guessing (since you didn't say what the boot error message was) that
you didn't compile support for both your hard drive and root filesystem
into the kernel.

You'll need to boot with a rescue floppy or cd; at the boot prompt type
"root=/dev/hda6" and off you go.

When you get a boot prompt and before you do anything else, make a boot
floppy.

Then go here to see one good way to compile kernels The Debian Way:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

Kevin