Re: pxelinux boot isn't loading woody kernel

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 06:05:32PM -0500, Susan Kleinmann wrote:
> I am trying to install Debian onto a floppy-less CD-ROM-less Shuttle
> XPC SS40G with an AMD Athlon installed.
>
> Following the instructions at:
> http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=818
> I obtained the linux.bin and root.bin files from the woody distribution,
> (woody/main/disks-i386/current/bf2.4), installed them as suggested, got
> the Shuttle to connect to a DHCP server and fetch itself an IP address,
> return a boot prompt, and then begin booting.
>
> Soon thereafter, the boot loader gets stuck, with the following message:
> 8000
> AX:0208
> BX:0200
> CX:0002
> DX:0000.
> 8000
> AX:0208
> ... (repeats)
>
> At this point, the tftp process begins to record this in syslog:
> sent DATA <block: 36, size 512>
> timeout: retrying...
>
> I checked the md5sums of the linux.bin and root.bin files were correct.
>
> Can anyone offer suggestions as to what I might look at to diagnose this
> problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Susan
>
> P.S.  In case it matters:  this system comes with a network chip built into
> the motherboard, but I also installed a second network card, and that's what
> I'm booting with.

Hi Susan,

This is a shot in the dark since I don't have any PXE cards installed
right now.  However, I have done netboot installs for several of my
sparcs and ran into a similar problem.  The symptom was that after
downloading some amount (a power of 2 no less) the download would
freeze, and tftpd began logging timeouts.  I discovered that this was
because the machine attempting to netboot had grabbed an IP address
already in use elsewhere on the network!

Good luck!

  Liberty may be endangered by the abuses of liberty as well as by
  the abuses of power.
          -- James Madison