Re: buying a cd writer

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 11:10:30PM +0000, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 08:01:33PM +0100, ernst@vindal.com wrote:
> [snip]
> > Yes, agree, I have an old 12x lite on and a newer 40x. Works fine on
> > both windoze and debian. I'm also useing a Plextor 48x, very nice. And a
> > old Sony 12x and a Teac scsi 12x, also very nice.
> >
> > I'm useing scsi emulation on everything exept for the Teac ofcourse:) .
> > The good ting about scsi emu is that when you have a burner and a cd/dvd
> > you are able to copy cd's "on the fly".
>
> I've always wondered about this.
>
> Is it the case (as a local PC shop assistant tried to convince me
> recently) that having the reader and burner on the same IDE interface
> means that copying CDs is faster?  As though the reader can put the data
> on the wire and the burner read it directly, without it having to go
> reader -> ide bus -> cpu (or mainboard) -> ide bus -> writer.

Er, I'd say that is not true.  Since IDE devices have no built in
controller like SCSI devices, there's no way the data can "short
circuit" as your apparently clueless local shopkeeper claims.  In
fact, I would _never_ recommend putting another IDE device on an IDE
controller that's already controlling a CD burner.  In the beginning,
this was inviting disaster; things have improved some I am sure with
higher write speeds and write caches, but why tempt fate?

Even with SCSI I prefer to hang tape drives, CD burners and other
"slow" I/O devices off a dedicated controller.

> Totally aside from this, how /do/ I copy a CD directly (in my case,
> from /dev/dvd to /dev/cdrom)?  Can I do something like
>
> $ dd if=/dev/dvd | cdrecord -
>
> assuming that all of cdrecord's options are set correctly in
> /etc/default?  Any caveats for audio CD versus data?

Dunno, I always create an image file on the assumption that I may need
it for later (like, if the media you're writing on has a flaw, etc.)

There was a thread here within the last 45 days or so regarding
copying audio CDs.  Check the archives.

  Quando omni flunkus moritati.
          -- Possum Lodge Motto