pxelinux boot isn't loading woody kernel

I am trying to install Debian onto a floppy-less CD-ROM-less Shuttle XPC SS40G
with an AMD Athlon installed.

Following the instructions at:
http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=818
I obtained the linux.bin and root.bin files from the woody distribution,
(woody/main/disks-i386/current/bf2.4), installed them as suggested, got
the Shuttle to connect to a DHCP server and fetch itself an IP address,
return a boot prompt, and then begin booting.

Soon thereafter, the boot loader gets stuck, with the following message:
8000
AX:0208
BX:0200
CX:0002
DX:0000.
8000
AX:0208
... (repeats)

At this point, the tftp process begins to record this in syslog:
sent DATA <block: 36, size 512>
timeout: retrying...

I checked the md5sums of the linux.bin and root.bin files were correct.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what I might look at to diagnose this
problem?

Thanks in advance,
Susan

P.S.  In case it matters:  this system comes with a network chip built into
the motherboard, but I also installed a second network card, and that's what
I'm booting with.