Re: How do I 'tar' a huge file?

Travis Crump declaimed:
> Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>
> >This actually worked in that I was able to store the whole file into
> >seperate archives.  But, when I tried to untar, it failed on the first
> >file, saying it encountered an unexpected EOF.
> >
> >Am I missing something here? or can this simply not be done?
> >
> >-Roberto Sanchez
> >

> Did you pass the same -L <number> option to tar for the untar as you did
> for the tar?

I think the --multi-volume option will do the trick; it worked for me
when backing up to a tape library. I also got the 'unexpected EOF' on
the first restore attempt, then tried again specifying --multi-volume on
restore. Run info tar and look up 'mult...' in the index.

You can definitely do this, I'd experiment with a small data set so you
can test backup & restore quickly.

HTH, PM
--
Paul Mackinney