How do I 'tar' a huge file?

I have a VMWare virtual machine image of ~3.5GB, that I need to tar (and hopefully gzip) into multiple (relatively) smaller archives that I can backup onto CD-R.

I know that if I invoke tar with -L and give it the media size in KB, I can generate a multivolume archive. However, when I give tar the file name in which to store the archive it overwrites the file for each volume (since I can't actually change the media).

So, I thought I would get smart and open two terminals and when I was prompted to change media and press return, I would go to the second terminal and change the name of the file from archive.tar to archive01.tar (and so on in a one up manner).

This actually worked in that I was able to store the whole file into seperate archives. But, when I tried to untar, it failed on the first file, saying it encountered an unexpected EOF.

Am I missing something here? or can this simply not be done?

-Roberto Sanchez