US Robotics Performance Pro PCI Modem on Debian

I've purchased a new US Robotics Performance Pro modem that is guaranteed to run on Linux. According to the manual it should be automatically detected by any kernel newer than 2.3.x. However, the modem isn't detected.
According to what I've read in http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-hardware@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu/msg02979.html, it is possible to make the modem work by calling setserial with the irq and port number given in /proc/pci and by using the autoconfig option.
Here is the excerpt from the article:
"Scroll down until you find the data for the serial controller. Mine
looked like:

<snip>
Bus  0, device  15, function  0:
    Serial controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=12b9. Device id=1008.
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 10.
      I/O at 0x1890 [0x1891].

<snip>

Make a note of the values for IRQ and I/O port. In my case they were
10 and 0x1890 respectively.

Then in the terminal window type

setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 10 port 0x1890 autoconfig "

This method does not work.  Also, the rpm package that comes with the modem, "LNUX_3ComMdm-1.0-1.i386.rpm" is not able to setup the modem either.  What should I do? I still have some to return the modem to the store if it becomes necessary.