Re: How should we handle people who can not unsubscribe?

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 03:39:16AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 04:04:38AM -0800, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
> > Does anyone see problem forwarding debian-user@lists.debian.org mails
> > with "unsubscribe" to be filtered from this list and to be forwarded to
> > debian-user-request@lists.debian.org ?
>
> I don't think so.  I think the footer should have a URL to the
> subscription page.

That idea for the footer, I totally agree with.

In addition, I wonder... what about having such misplaced unsub-requests
generate an auto-reply. Don't forward them anywhere, just fire back a
form letter that says something  like:

  Apparently you're having trouble unsubscribing.
  Unsubscribe requests should NOT be sent to the regular list address.
  It's a shame you can't read.
  To unsubscribe, try actually following the unsubscribe instructions:
  <insert verbose description of both web- and mail-based unsubscribe
  options, complete with URLs>

although perhaps without quite such a snarky tone...   :P