Re: How long is linux going to be free ?

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 16:06, adit y wrote:
[...]
> So are there any tabs here in linux where it can not
> become not free in future. so any gpl derived software
> needs to be gpled but what about the other way, can
> you start including non gpled software ,closed sourced
> modules in gpled software. if that is possible then
> with each new release can included a included a lot of
> non gpled software being used from gpled, eventually
> by the time you get into version 50.0 it might become
> 2% free and 98% not free. looks like some flavors of
> linux are going that way.

Hi,

First off, please do not start a new subject be replying to a message
and just changing the subject line - Threads get screwed up on lots of
clients and your message will get ignored by a lot of people.

With regards to your question, you should probably read the GPL license
a bit closer. From what I understand, and somebody please correct me if
I am wrong. GPL, means that any code added to it and released also
becomes GPL.

If you add some code to the linux kernel and release it, the code you
added is released under the GPL - Even if it was proprietary to start
off with.

LGPL is slightly different - you can use that code to write whatever you
want and keep what you wrote proprietary. *But* if you change anything
or add anything to the code that was LGPL, you will have to release that
code under the GPL.

Check http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html for more info,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            Edinburgh, Scotland     Tel: 0845 644 4745
Email: shri@urbyte.com                             Web: www.urbyte.com