Re: remount md0 after disc failure

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 10:50:35PM +1100, Lindsay Yardley wrote:
> G'day Pigeon,
>  | Don't forget to reinstall the bootloader.
> That'll be tomorrows HOWTO to read ... "Lilo Bootloader HOWTO"
> Hmmmm, no real reason for a bootloader for this, only 1 OS to boot to,
> hmmm wonder if I can boot directly to /boot? Another HOWTO to read.

Nonono, you've got to have a bootloader to boot anything at all!
Having only one OS to boot just makes the configuration easier. I'm
not able to be much help with lilo/grub because I personally find it
useful to boot to DOS and then run LOADLIN.EXE to boot Linux. This is
not a very popular method.

>  | I take it by "image" you mean "all the files/directories/permissions
>  | and stuff" as opposed to something akin to a ISO9660 image of a CD?
> Yes, looks like parted can do that, yes? Yet another HOWTO to read.

Parted is for editing the partition table so you can do stuff like
moving/resizing partitions, hopefully without losing the data on them.
Because of the "hopefully", "it is advisable" to do a backup first.

Parted can indeed copy a filesystem to a different partition, but in
your setup you don't have any unused partitions to copy it onto. You
could buy a second hard drive, install it as hdb, use parted to copy
the hda filesystem onto it, take it out again and stick it in a
cupboard so if hda fails you can swap in the spare drive and get going
again. This is great for getting going again quickly after a hard
drive failure, but sucks as a method of taking regular backups, which
of course you will still need to do.

With a 1GB partition, I personally wouldn't bother taking incremental
backups. I'd just copy the whole thing, compressed, to a CD-ROM (or
uncompressed to two).

There are several methods of taking a copy of all the
files/directories/permissions etc, such as tar and cp -a. Have a look
in the list archives, there have been several different methods
suggested over the past few weeks. Then you can use mkisofs to convert
the snapshot to a CD-ROM image and cdrecord to burn it.

In your setup, it looks like you would need to use a temporary
directory on /home to hold the snapshot and CD-ROM image.

I'm posting this back to the list so others can give their input. My
methods are not necessarily the best!

Pigeon