Re: sylpheed-doc package broken?

ronin2@bellatlantic.net wrote:

> It may resolve itself when sylpheed moves into testing, but it's still a
> bug.
>
> Installing a doc package shouldn't cause removal of a binary package,
> even if the binary package an older version.

Does Debian policy say anything about this? If not, then the maintainer
will be within his rights to simply reject the bug report.

Are you objecting to the idea that a doc package and a binary package
can conflict simply because the documentation is for a different version
of the program? Or are you suggesting that apt should simply refuse to
install a doc package when a conflicting binary package is already
installed? In the latter case, your complaint is really with apt, not
with sylpheed or sylpheed-doc. I don't know if apt treats doc packages
differently from binary ones, and I don't see why it should. It seems
like needless complexity in a program that is quite complex enough
already.

Craig