Re: name conflict: ud / ud-ldap

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 08:24:03PM +0000, Jonathan Matthews wrote:
> I've just noticed that "man ud-ldap" gives the same manpage as "man ud",
> which is also the name of the uptime daemon package and binary.
>
> The ud-ldap manpage says that it represents the binary "ud", but I know
> from another debian box that both root and users can execute ud to get a
> summary of their highest uptimes.  Tab-completing on "ud" without the
> ud package installed expands to ud-ldap, so it's not a binary name
> conflict, just a minor glitch in the ud-ldap manpage.  I think.
>
> Is this something that is catered for in the installation of packages,
> or is it a conflict for which I should file a bug?  If the latter, which
> package should it be under?  Neither ldap-utils nor ud have any bugs
> associated with this ...

Please file a bug against the ldap-utils package asking that the NAME
section of its man page be corrected to describe ud-ldap rather than ud.

Just to confirm, do you really mean that 'man ud-ldap' gives you the man
page for "ud - The uptime daemon" rather than "ud - interactive LDAP
Directory Server query program"? If so, that would also be a bug in
man-db. What version of the man-db package is installed, and what does
'accessdb | grep ^ud' say?

Cheers,