Re: DHCP client problem

Harry,

> >> After this my network link goes down and comes up again with the new
> >> address.
> >>
> >> Any ideas what would cause the dhcpd to give me a new address instead of
> >> assigning the same again?
> >
> > Are you sure there is not even a DHCPNAK received? And I'm puzzled, since
> > tcpdump|dhcpdump should show you the OFFER, REQUEST and ACK for the new
> > address...
>
> I assume that these packages are exchanged right after eth0 comes up again.
> Unfortunately tcpdump dies when the interface goes down and the connection
> is back up (with a new address) already when I can start tcpdump again. :-/

This is really strange behaviour. I don't understand it at all. Shutting
down your connection can only be done by your box, right? I see no reason
why your connection should be shut down, especially if your dhcp client
does not receive a DHCPNAK packet, which tells it that the current address
may not be used anymore. Are you sure your client is not dying from a
segfault or something? I really have no clue other than that it might be a
_very_ buggy client or strange server behaviour, :-(

David