LPRng and LaserWriter 8.7.1 Very Slow

I'm trying to print to LPRng on my Woody box from a Mac with the LaserWriter
8.7.1 driver. I can print a whole web page to it just fine from an OS X box
running CUPS. However, when I print a document containing one four-letter
word with the LaserWriter 8.7.1 driver, it takes the LPRng server a little
over a half hour to spool the document.

My printcap file is quite simple:

lp|l|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=10.0.0.16:\
        :rp=HP_LaserJet_1200:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

I just modified the default file to make it forward everything to a printer
on another machine. I have tried printing directly to that machine, and it's
very zippy, even for larger documents.

Does anyone have any experience setting up LPRng for Mac clients? Do I need
to take special measures?

This is my first post here. I hope it's not off-topic since I am running
LPRng on a Debian box. I'd be happy to provide more details, but I didn't
want to bother you with unnecessary ones.

Peter