Re: Official Exim 4 package

Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Quite the contrary.  I use front-ends and turn those blasted suggests and
> recommends off.  How does the maintainer know what works better "for me"?
> They don't.  If I want something I'll include it, thank-you-very-much, not
> stop trying to add more bloat to my system.  Of course none of that has to do
> with the problem at hand.

Yeah, well you might be suprised at how much tech support I do on a
daily basis for users of packages of mine who have not installed the
suggests and recommends and don't understand why something doesn't work.
(Typically questions about why debconf's gnome frontend doesn't work, or
internationalized debconf templates, or rpm without alien, or debconf
without apt-utils.) Or at how much documentaton and code I've added to
packages since users ignore suggests and recommends. Or at how many
developers have probably added too-tight dependencies because they got
tired of their users ignoring suggests and recommends.

Maybe I should stop worry about users who don't notice suggests, they
clearly know what they're doing. :-P

--
see shy jo